Bob Murchison grew up in Honolulu and graduated from Yale University in 1982 with a B.A. in History. After ten years as a securities trader on Wall Street (primarily with Citigroup) he moved to the Boston area in 1992. From 1992-2009 he held several management roles at Fidelity Investments including Head of Trading and Portfolio Manager. In early 2009, he co-founded Fenix Partners, a small investment management firm focused on providing liquidity in markets and situations with severe capital constraints.
The Murchison family moved to Sherborn, MA from Boston in 2000. Bob's wife Alison is a physician and writer practicing at MGH in Boston. Alison and Bob have two sons. Gabe is a Junior at Yale University and John is a Freshman at Wesleyan University.
Bob has served for twenty years on the board of The Beekman Estate, which is a privately owned real estate investment company in New York City.
Bob serves on the following boards, committees and activities:
- Commonwealth School – Trustee; Chair of Investment committee; Co-chair of the Strategic Plan committee (www.commschool.org).
- American Repertory Theater (A.R.T.) at Harvard University – Trustee (www.amrep.org).
- Yale University Development Council – Member (www.yale.edu).
- Mass Audubon Broadmoor Council – Member (www.massaudubon.org).
- Selectmen's Farm Pond Advisory Committee, Sherborn MA – Vice-chair (www.sherbornma.org).
- Elder Housing Committee, Sherborn MA – Member (www.sherbornma.org).
- Unitarian Universalist Area Church, Sherborn MA – Committees and projects, including role as Owner's Representative for $1.4 million building expansion (www.uuac.org).
- College Behind Bars Program, MCI-Norfolk – Mentor, through "Partakers" program (www.partakers.org).